Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bursting, Buckets, and BY THE WAY


It seems like my yard is bursting.  Flowers are everywhere, and I mean everywhere.  I am starting to harvest some veggies from my little garden, blueberries and boysenberries abound.  My husband and I are reaping the harvest of many years of mostly his hard work.  Right now it is sooo bursting out! Have a little look.
 



As I reach the “autumn” of my life, I guess you could say the “harvest years” I am becoming a little more reflective about what I have accomplished so far. 

 And I sense an urgency to get on with what else God has for me in this life…

 I guess you could call it my “bucket list”  although it is not that in the truest sense of the word.   I googled bucket list  and some of them were funny, but nothing I had not heard of before:

1.Go to Paris (my sis is crossing that off her bucket list this week)
2.Ride to work on your bike in a bathrobe
3.Play golf with Tiger Woods.  (really? ….uhhhh, Not so much)

 


The “been there, done that, got the t-shirt” list  for me includes: Living and doing ministry in a developing country, raising 3 great kids, and loving one amazing man for 32 years so far. Not too many people included these 3 things, but what in the cat hair do I care? It’s my list. 


What I have accomplished is good stuff.

But

 I sense there is more to do. 

I ain’t dead yet. 


 I am not too interested in fabulous vacations, (couldn’t afford them anyhow) playing cards, talking to the Maharishi, or golf.  Some folks love this stuff and that is all good.  That’s why there is chocolate and vanilla.
 


But there is some "bucket like little stuff" I do want to accomplish, with the help of my Jesus...

 Last year I started a “mentoring group” at my church.  I was not sure how it would develop, but God told me to reach out. 

 So I did. 

 When I was a young mom raising my kids I longed for someone to mentor me, but it seemed everyone I knew older and wiser was too busy. It was then I purposed in my heart that when I reached a “mature” age I would make myself available. 

 Our mentor group  started hanging out at my house one morning a week before I go to work.  Some 20somethings,  some in their 30’s and 40’s and some my age. It is an eclectic group to say the least.  We listen to each other, sometimes we give input, and we pray. 

 Pretty simple. 

But amazingly, it has been awesome for all of us.

For now my bucket list is nothing big or life-shattering.  But it’s my little slice of bucket that means something to me.   MUCH better than an exotic vacation. Definitely better than playing golf with Tiger:)




 
 BY THE WAY:
If you are a 50 or 60 something, I hope your bucket list includes doing something amazing like traveling around the world. 

 But

I also hope it includes doing some amazing giving of yourself, to others who need to hear from you.  Sharing your wisdom

as a wife,

or a mom

or a woman

 If it does not, you might have some “splainin to do on that day, in the not so far off future when you stand before your God…

 I am sure He will want to hear about that fabulous bursting bucket list-   but even more so-  He might  inquire about  the following:

1.Who have YOU actively reached out to lately? To come alongside.
2.What younger woman are YOU praying for?
3.Who can YOU call/email/text/message TODAY to  encourage them?


Matthew  25:21  “Well done, good and faithful servant…”

Hmmmm.   No bucket list mentioned in that verse.

3 comments:

  1. Let's rename 'bucket list' to 'barrel list or silo sheet'...let's accomplish more than a bucket full for tbe Lord!

    ReplyDelete