Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Saved and Re-Saved?


Sometimes Evangelicals make me sigh.  I consider myself an evangelical and I am proud to have my name associated with my Jesus.  Sometimes I am not so proud of evangelicals.

My niece recently attended a wedding of an old college friend.  As she was telling me this story I was cringing…. a lot.  It seemed some of her old college friends had been “saved” and were zealous to get everyone they came in contact with saved too.  As my niece discussed this with them, she explained that she was Catholic and loved Jesus.  ( I know her, she is and she does) 

 Much to her dismay, telling them that made them push her even harder, pretty much telling her she needed to “turn or burn”  hounding her relentlessly.         
 What in the Cat Hair?  

 I guess they forgot to read one of my life verses:

1 Peter 3:15  But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord, always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the HOPE that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect.

If you forget the last part of this verse, you might as well be spitting into the wind.  You will totally turn off whoever was nice enough to take a minute to listen, and you will end up with that nasty spit all over your own face. 

 

 Those well meaning folks talking to my niece could not wrap their mind around the fact that she already did love Jesus.  

Once long ago when my husband was in college, some  campus ministry leaders kept trying to get him re-saved.  He kept telling them he had already been born again, but they just kept shoving the four spiritual laws pamphlet at him.  He was just inquiring about how he could become involved in their group. 

 Can I call Cat Hair on this?  


 

Please don’t get me wrong, as a Christian I do believe in sharing my faith with people.  In fact Scripture tells us to do that.  But I just don’t think being obnoxious about it will win souls to heaven. 

  In addition I don’t think we need to get anyone re-saved. 

 In addition to that, WE don’t get anyone saved. 


 THAT is God’s Holy Spirit’s work, not ours.



In my life, I have been a Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Bible Churcher, and Community Church attender.  While nobody has it 100% perfect, here are some good helpful hints for us as we go about sharing our faith:

1. Living your life in an honest, pure, upstanding, positive, holy way in front of others speaks volumes about your faith.  You don’t even have to open your mouth.  (thank Heaven!)

 If Roger Clemmons had thought about this long ago, he may not have to be uptight about when he stands before his God on judgment day.  As it is - he better be plenty nervous.


Roger Clemmons, former MLB star, denies use of peformance enhancing drugs-most feel he is lying.

2.When you do share your faith, as it is right to do, pray God will give you the right words to say, thanks Him for the opportunity, and let HIM do the rest.

3. If someone tells you they love Jesus, believe them.  Yes, you might find out later they were just giving lip service to that statement, and you may get to revisit the topic.  There are all kinds of believers, some more mature in their faith than others.  I can tell you right now that mature believers do not try to badger folks into the kingdom.

When I first became a born again Christian at the age of 23, I was out to save the world.  I badgered friends and family relentlessly, and if I decided their salvation experience didn’t measure up, I badgered some more.  Actually I am lucky some of them still speak to me. 

 Obnoxious was my middle name. 

 Self - righteousness was my calling card.  

 


As I have gotten older, however, I have realized scripture allows for all kinds of salvation experiences, and even more types of Jesus followers.  One thing I do know is that others watch us carefully to see what WE Christians will do in every situation. 

Nik Wallenda, who walked across Niagara Falls on a tightrope last week got it right.  As he slowly walked over the face of the falls with wind and rain in his face, I was mesmerized and glued to the event, holding my breath.   Then on national TV, over the voices of the commentators, you could hear him quietly praising his Jesus.  It was amazing, and he continued this quiet praise of his Savior all the way in to Canada.  If you didn't see it- you HAVE to watch it!






THAT is the way I want to share my faith.    What about YOU?

Matthew 23:15 Woe to you teachers of the Law, and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over the land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one:  you make him twice as much a son of Hell and you are!”

YIKES!!!

4 comments:

  1. last sentence is "as you are" sorry:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my friend! Good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this AMAZING post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for always being gentle and respectful (well almost always).

    ReplyDelete