Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Shape Up or Ship OUT!


Being fifty something is hard work.   Aside from the whole menopause/hot flash thing, (yes, God does have a sense of humor) there are aches and pains in body parts that I never even knew existed.  It seems I have been loosing and finding  the same 30 pounds over and over my whole life.  But now those found pounds don’t want to get lost.  They are sticking around like the in-laws on a smelly family visit.     UGG.        My favorite time of day is 10 pm when I can drag my weary carcass to rest.


 

  


WHAT IN THE CAT HAIR?   Time to shape up? 


 It would seem.    



The idiom “shape up or ship out” historically comes from the US Navy. If a guy did not shape up and do his job properly, he was “shipped out”.  That is how things on a navy ship were able to remain “ship shape”.  
 

There was no room for lame excuses like “I don’t have time to exercise”  or “It’s too much trouble to eat the right kind of foods”  Even now, the men and women of the Armed Forces need to conduct themselves in a proper manner and stay in good physical condition or OUT they go.

Yes,  it is SO TRUE!  I need to shape up and NOW!  

 It irritates me to see extremely portly TV evangelists  self-righteously spewing out their version of biblical wisdom.  Clearly they are living in the sin of gluttony.  (Yes, overeating is a sin)   

So….. 

This type of thing  "irritating me" is pretty much the pot calling the kettle black.  
 


 Can I call  what in the cat hair  on myself?? 

 No more lame I’ll do it tomorrow crap. Tomorrow never comes.  Believe me, I know.  That is why lately I am dragging my sorry self to the elliptical every morning at 6:30 am. 


 And why I am weighing in weekly with a friend...   And why I am doing stretches and sit ups in the evening this summer instead of laying on the couch watching boring re-runs on TV- (well, maybe stretching while I am watching the re-runs) 

  NOW is the time, NOT tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, Annie!

 


What about you? 

  Time for a “shape up” of your spiritual condition?  Or are you content to be flabby, slovenly and lazy in that area of your life as well?  What if God told us all to “shape up or ship out”.  Would we be willing to get our spiritual house “ship shape”?  Or would we put it all off til tomorrow?.....

For me, I know NOW is the time to get my physical as well as my spiritual self  "Shaped Up"!    When you are OLD like I am, you don't know how many more chances you will get:)  

Join Me?

2 Corinthians 6:2 (NIV) 

For he says,“In the time of my favor I heard you,  

and in the day of salvation I helped you."  

I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, TODAY is the day of salvation.

 


6 comments:

  1. i recorded a pilates for beginners 2 weeks ago off tv...still sitting in the "not watched" or "participated in" box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, I've started doing "Holy Yoga." I know, it sounds cheesy, but it's way cool! I kill two birds with one stone because it's like a devotional and exercise all wrapped up in one, and for the first time in my life I actually enjoy exercise! You should look for a class in your area. I highly recommend it! I'm trrrrrying to shape up.....baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Miss Denise Marie why must you be so right all the time. I am truely lazy in all areas lately. My busy life is consuming me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need a support group for this at church... let's start either that Holy Yoga thingy, or even just a walking group. We could pray, walk, pray again. :-) There are several of us trying really hard at this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring! After my body FORCED me to lie around for 8 mos, I am blessed to walk the Farm with my girl! Amen

    ReplyDelete
  6. We could have group exercise classes at church and take turns leading yoga, step aerobics, walking outside, dancing -- whatever.

    ReplyDelete