Monday, February 18, 2013

Harlem WHAT IN THE CAT HAIR Shake?

The Harlem Shake?







What in the Cat Hair?

When Evan told me Friday evening on skype that he had just gotten finished meeting with about 1000 other students in the middle of the campus at App State to do a 15 second dance i DID say "What in the Cathair, son?"


WHY?  

What are the meanings?  

How can we explain it?

Let's wring our hands excessively and examine this phenomena deeply......



I consider myself at least minimally aware of pop culture and what is going on, but this befuddled me, to say the least. So doing a little research....I think I figured it out.  

It is silly

just for fun,

no reasons

and anyone can do it.  


THAT  is the kind of stuff I LOVE:)  


Here is what Wikipedia had to say about it, dated a few days ago:

"The videos last 30-something seconds and feature an excerpt from the song "Harlem Shake" by electronic musician Baauer. Usually, a video begins with one person (often helmeted or masked) dancing to the song alone for 15 seconds, surrounded by other people not paying attention or unaware of the dancing individual. When the bass drops, the video switches to the entire crowd doing a crazy convulsive dance for the next 15 seconds... Also, in the second half of the video, people often wear  crazy outfits or costumes while wielding strange props."


OK sounds good to me, why not?



Go on to u-tube and you will find about 4000 different 

renditions of it....many claiming to be the first, Feb 

something of this year.


Here is the one my son was in just to give you a peek of

what all the college campuses, sports teams, office groups, 

and high schools are doing... just for fun.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK12pcRCu


The Washington Post, NY Times, and other fabulous publications are trying to figure it out... 

why is this so popular? What does it mean?  How will it affect the future of mankind??  What will be the significance in the annuls of history?  

They give lots of in-depth reasons:)

For me...  

I like it.  

It's fun.

That's it. 

What in the cathair is the meaning behind "the wave" at sports events?? 

Sometimes, on a dreary Monday morning, we all need a little fun, for absolutely NO good reason.

AND

I can't wait to see the first missionary Harlem Shake....

I think God will smile at that...He might even laugh out loud:)

Lastly, Our family has a great reason to do a Sieges rendition of the Harlem Shake.  We were blessed 3 weeks ago with a fabulous new life.  


Emelia Margaret Born Jan 27 in Waco, TX




Harlem Shake?

Let me at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment