Tuesday, January 15, 2013

tweens, teens and tronics

Electronics, that is:)  Ohhhhh Yaaaaaaa!  Got your attention now, right?

Two disclaimers before I begin this "What in the Cathair"

a.YOU, the parent bought and own the computer, cell phone, smartphone, tablet, ipad, blah blah.  You have the absolute RIGHT to do all of the below. (even if they bought it with babysitting $ you still are in charge, not them:)

b.If you think what i have to say is old fashioned or outdated, I have one word for you:  

THANKS.





Here We Go:

Top 10 Do's and Don'ts 
About Teens, Tweens, and Electronics:

1.Parents need ALL Password of every device that their kid uses, AND  all devices need to be checked OFTEN.  Teenage boys need their dads to be their Covenant eyes mentor 

this needs to start at 13 or 14 or whenever they get electronics.

2.NO, minor children DO NOT NEED PRIVACY in this area of their lives. YOU are responsible for their internet use.

3.Kids need to know that you can obtain all transcripts of every text message they send, and they need to know you WILL  do it.

4.They are not allowed facebook unless you are their facebook friend.  

Period. 

Anyone posting something inappropriate on their page is instantly de-friended.  
(* I covenanted with my son that through high school i would check his facebook daily but not write on his page.  I never had any trouble with him, but he did need to de-friend a few people.)

5.Twitter is for adults.  Teens can get in WAY to much trouble with impulsively posting STUPID stuff.  (so can adults for that matter- ie sports stars- i rest my case) 

NO TWITTER- 
Facebook is bad enough:)

6.Give me one really good reason WHY  teens need smart phones? 
 NO 
they don't!  (my kid in college does not have one, we can't afford it, and he is doing fine with his regular cell)

7.  Yes they think they are way smarter than you and can outsmart you and get around your rules.  Get Smarter about electronics.  They are NOT Mark Zuckerburg, and they're not  as smart as they think they are.

8.If your kids argue with you about any of these points- I refer you back to point A above:) ..And #2 for that matter.

9.Do tweens really need a cell phone????? Probably NOT.  If they have one- you confiscate it by 9pm and give it back to them in the morning.

10.Most of the above points are for your children's safety.

OK moms out there- you may not agree with what I have said, and that's ok.  But don't come crying to me if your child is stalked on the internet by a predator, or if they get in BIG  trouble with their mouth(fingers) on fb or twitter or instagram for that matter.

Finally, pray daily about what God would have you do in this area.  Decide before they turn 10 or 11.  

IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT


2 comments:

  1. I agree. Good article. Pastor Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog. Will ADD you on my blogroll. What a sensible post.
    My 7 year olds know pretty much all...its so sad...in a sad way.
    They want a FB already...but I know have K9 on my desktop ;)

    ReplyDelete