Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Passionate Grannies?


Breathe a sigh of relief kids:  this blog is NOT about old folk’s sex lives... 


 About that topic  I will say: "What in the cat hair"?





“Passionate grandparenting” is the topic of the day. 

Most of you who know me know that I am a passionate person.  What I am feeling and thinking, I don’t keep a secret. Believe me, you will know:)

I am passionate about my family

I am passionate about my friends

I am passionate about my Jesus


Anna my oldest is due with our first grandchild the end of January.  Emelia Margaret will make her debut in Waco, Texas,  on or about Jan 30.  It will be an AWESOME  late Christmas gift for all of us! 

It's a girl!



Tim and I are overjoyed and have been buying little Emmie “things”:  with Gamecock , John Deer,  Appie State,  Iowa Hawkeye and Baylor Bear logos on them since we found out. 



But what does passionate grandparenting mean?

How do you master that?

What do you do? More importantly what do you NOT do?

My hubbie will be an epic grandpa.  I already know he will own that job with humor, passion, wisdom, and grace. 

I am a little more nervous about my grandma-ing.  I worry that my passion will turn into bossing, as it many times does. 



How do you become a graceful grannie?



I know many who ARE NOT. 


I don’t want my passion to become overbearing.  Sometimes I scratch my head and hold my breath thinking about it.

Even though I am not Jewish, the stereotypical  “Jewish Mother”  can come pretty naturally to me. UGG!

Here are some things I have observed about 

“passionate grandparenting” 

from people who are doing it well:

1.Above all else: LOVE your grandchildren, with an unconditional LOVE.  Its pretty darn easy to LOVE them when they are little and cute, and say the darndest things.  Keep loving when they become obnoxious eye rolling teens.  (and they will)  Be that person they can come to for advice in hard teen times.

2.That being said, do not undermine Mom and Dad, EVER.  Know when to keep your mouth shut, and when to speak.  Enough said. 

3.Be a FUN grandparent.  Not the grumpy type, or the judgmental type, or the “I told you so” type, or the “I’m too busy for you” type.  If there is some junk in your house you don’t want them to touch put it away, fer cryin.  It’s only stuff. 

4..Be a spiritual mentor.  As ya’ll know from raising your own children- being a kid is not easy.  Not only let your grandkids know you love them, but let them know Jesus loves them., even more unconditionally than you do. Let them know that OFTEN.  Here is one area that it A-OK to repeat yourself- 

again and again.


I want to do the grandma thing with unparalleled  humor, passion, fervor, and grace.

I want to be an iconic rock star grandma.


But for now,  

I will just wait and learn, and try to keep my mouth closed about 



“what you should do when you are pregnant”:)

No comments:

Post a Comment