Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Call yer Mom!!


Even though my blog this week is about mom- daughter relationships- i want to dedicate this to my son going off to college for the first time, in 2 days. All the below applies.  Bud, you know what you have to do, we have been over it numerous times.  I love you, my little fella. Godspeed.


 



Last week Ky (Evan's girlfriend) asked me to blog about relationships, so here is what I decided.  I thought I would tackle something I know a little about: moms and their daughters.  Since I am a daughter, and I am a mom- I feel highly qualified:)

I consider myself to have a good relationship with my mom, and with my daughters.  While that is not easily done- I think you go about this in a certain way…

 very carefully. 

Anna, me, Ru in Waco :)
You see, mother-daughter relationships are… well…. complicated.



 For daughters, I can sum it up in three words: 

Call your mom.

 No, sorry, a tweet, text, facebook, or email won’t do. 


It just is not the same.  (Ok skype is good, too, if you are NOT driving)


Here is what a mom wants to know about her college age or grown girls:
 1.Are you safe?
2.Are you happy?
3. Are you loved? (by someone other than mom)
4.Are you fulfilled? (in school, in your job, in your motherhood, or whatever you are doing)

Moms have to have answers to these above questions often and redundantly.  Don’t ask why.  Someday you will know.



Some free advice for moms:
1.Yes it is Ok to GIVE ADVICE but only if it is vitally important, and most times only if you are asked.  Otherwise BUTT OUT .  ( I am still learning this lesson daily)
2.Give praise often, freely, and lavishly.  Let your daughters know you think they are THE BEST EVER
3. If your daughter makes a mistake, don’t say I told you so, don’t fix it, just say “sorry”  and BE THERE for them.
4.Please don’t dress like you are 22.  You are not her sister, or bff.  You are the MOM.  Act and dress like it.




Some free advice for daughters:
1.Your mom is getting older- her hormones are going nutz.  Cut her lots of slack.
2.Have FUN  when you get together-laugh a lot, tell funny stories.  it isn’t a chore, it is privilege to have a living mother.
3.Time for YOU:   to make her dinner, or take her to a movie, or take her shopping- really, I mean it!:)
4.CALL YOUR MOM…. Often!   DID I MENTION YA’LL SHOULD CALL YOUR MOM?


 I call my 83 year old mom at least 2 times a week and talk to her for 45 minutes.  It is the least I can do.  To my shame, when I was younger I didn’t call her enough.  I wish I had done more.   


  My daughter who lives in Texas calls me many times a week.  We only have time to talk for a few minutes, but I get all the vital “are you” questions answered in that time- YUP I do:)


You see…. It’s all about the relationship.  And if you don’t TALK, it is hard to actually have one.  Yes, I do know it is complicated… I will grant you that.

But in the end …worth it, for sure.

I have heard the new Disney Movie BRAVE is about a mom-daughter relationship. I haven’t seen it, but can’t wait to do that.

 

 In the meantime, I gotta go call my mom… hope you do the same-

it will make you smile or scream…..:) 

either way, it’s all good:)

No comments:

Post a Comment