Tuesday, July 23, 2013

If I perish....what's worse than dying?

Recently I went to Toronto to celebrate my sis's 60th birthday.  What happens in Toronto stays in Toronto...

 of course

but I do want to tell ya'll about my pilgrimage to Niagara Falls.  

Riding "The Maid of the Mist" within a few feet of the falls made my life flash before me, and my rear end pucker:)

my sister and I were on this boat- Yikes!

 
It's hard to explain- but for about 10 minutes of my life


I was silent.


Most of you who know me know that is an almost miracle:) 


As we drew closer and closer to the thundering, I felt surrounded by the white-hot majesty  of my Creator, in the horseshoe of His creation.

 In my mind I knew thousands had survived this journey, but in my heart were the words:

 "Really God?  This is flippin outrageous!  I'M GONNA DIE!"

Since I am currently leading a study in the book of Esther in the Old Testament,  her immortal words kept coming to my mind

 "if I perish, I perish." 

Esther was smack in the middle of THE defining moment of her life. She knew it as well as I know the natural color of my hair. Her uncle Mordeci reminded her she was created "for such a time as this" destined to either die, or save her people from extinction. (Esther chapters 4 and 5)



While my defining moment over the weekend in the bowels of the Falls was nothing noble or life saving, it did change me.

I marveled at the splendor of my Creator's creation, of course,

but it was more than that.

I was ready to die.

And all at once I knew there were far worse things than dying.

Knowing that in your life you have never lifted a finger to honor your Jesus, or help humankind.

THAT, my friend, is a far worse fate than death.


Esther knew it.

I know it.

So, as I look back on my fab time in Toronto with my sisters and my ten minutes of  silence, marveling on the Niagara River,  I purposed to do whatever I can to seize the day. 


And You?

Carpe Diem. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment